Companies on third annual list to be honored during Internet Week New York on May 22nd
New York City (April 25, 2013) – Time Inc. today unveiled its third annual list of the 10 NYC Startups to Watch for 2013. The ten ventures will be recognized at Time Inc.'s Internet Week cocktail event on Wednesday, May 22nd. Each Spring, editors from Time Inc. brands, including TIME, FORTUNE, CNNMoney.com, PEOPLE, Sports Illustrated, Entertainment Weekly, InStyle and Real Simple, comb New York's technology scene to discover the ten most promising startups of the past year.
This year's diverse list spotlights New York City-based companies with the most potential to transform areas from shopping, personal health and dating to customer service, social media, and data analysis. Past honorees that have experienced considerable success include the curated design shop Fab (2012), which now has 10 million members and is reportedly valued at $1 billion; eyewear designer and retailer Warby Parker (2011), which recently opened its first flagship retail store in New York City, and Stamped (2012), which was Marissa Mayer's first acquisition at Yahoo!
"Each year, the temperature of NYC's start-up scene seems to get turned up another five degrees, with 2013 yielding by far the largest number and widest spectrum of companies for our judging committee to consider," says Time Inc. Style & Entertainment Group Editor Mark Golin. "As journalists, it's our job to bring news of the latest digital products, services and trends to our audiences. But, as a media company looking to lead in a rapidly evolving industry, Time Inc. ends up winning every bit as much as the companies that made this list by allowing ourselves to be inspired by their innovative example."
Time Inc.’s “10 NYC Startups to Watch” in 2013 are (listed alphabetically):
- ArchetypeMe: ArchetypeMe redefines 'personal' search and discovery by placing users within a community of like-minded people where they'll receive original, relevant content and videos.
- Custora: Custora is a marketing analytics platform that helps leading online retailers like Birchbox, Etsy, and LivingSocial identify and keep valuable customers.
- FiftyThree: FiftyThree builds tools for creativity - they crafted the breakthrough app, Paper, named Apple's App of the Year. Users who have relied on traditional journals and notebooks now have a professional-quality app for drawing, graphing and coloring on a tablet.
- Fitocracy: With more than 1 million users, Fitocracy is a workout tracker and social network that empowers users to succeed at fitness by connecting them to communities just like them and providing guidance to help reach their goals.
- Grouper: A dating site with a twist, Grouper matches two groups of friends together based on information pulled from their Facebook profiles and then arranges a destination for an offline blind group date.
- Hukkster: Hukkster is a digital platform that allows shoppers to track products at more than 1000 popular online stores – from Asos to Zappos – and get notified when those products go on sale.
- IMRSV: A breakthrough in real-world, real-time data analysis, IMRSV's Cara software transforms web cameras into intelligent sensors that capture data including age, gender and attention time.
- Klooff: A smartphone app for pet owners who love their pets, Klooff lets users share photos, meet people with similar animals, create customized products and much more.
- Qwiki: Qwiki, already a leader in automated video production, recently released an iPhone app that automatically creates beautiful movies from the events captured on your iPhone.
- Upworthy: Upworthy's mission is to lift up things that matter using irresistible social media - to make really important issues as shareable as a video of a guy jumping on his bed and falling out the window.
For more information on Time Inc.'s 10 NYC Startups To Watch, you can find it here, on Facebook and Twitter: #TimeInc10Startups. The honorees will be feted at what has become one of the flagship events of Internet Week New York. Time Inc.'s evening brings together the most buzz-worthy innovators and entrepreneurs driving New York City's digital renaissance and prominent members of the media.
Taking place from May 20th – 27th, Internet Week New York has become one of the world's top events where business, technology, and culture meet. This year, more than 45,000 people are expected to attend.
About Time Inc.
Time Inc., a division of Time Warner, is one of the largest branded media companies in the world. The company's magazines reach more than 130 million Americans each month, and its websites attract nearly 50 million unique visitors each month. With influential brands such as TIME, PEOPLE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, InStyle, and REAL SIMPLE, Time Inc. is home to celebrated events and franchises including the FORTUNE 500, TIME 100, PEOPLE's Most Beautiful and SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's Sportsman of the Year.
# # #