Fourth annual list to be honored during Internet Week New York on May 21st
New York City (May 12, 2014) – Ambitious New York-based ventures across ecommerce, manufacturing, retail and gaming are among headliners of Time Inc’s fourth annual “10 Startups to Watch” list, which was unveiled today. Each company was chosen by a team of Time Inc. editors and digital executives for their potential to transform their respective fields of industry.
The “10 Startups to Watch” will be honored at Time Inc.’s annual Internet Week New York celebration scheduled for May 21. The evening is one of the signature events of IWNY and brings together the leading innovators and entrepreneurs driving New York City's digital renaissance with prominent members of the media and technology industries.
“The start-up scene in New York City is one of the most dynamic in the world thanks to the city’s role as a capital for industries from finance and fashion to media and marketing,” said Colin Bodell, Time Inc. Chief Technology Officer and member of the selection team. “This year’s honorees include several exciting ventures that we believe are on the verge of their breakout moment in 2014, and some that have already made major strides."
Time Inc.’s “10 NYC Startups to Watch” in 2014 are (listed alphabetically):
- Cover: Cover makes waiting for the check a thing of the past. Dine at the best restaurants in New York and leave your wallet at home.
- Flatiron Health: Flatiron Health is a health care technology company based in New York City building software for the oncology industry. Flatiron’s mission is to organize the world’s oncology data and make it useful for patients, physicians, life sciences and researchers.
- GlamSquad: Making getting ready a whole lot easier, the GLAMSQUAD app delivers professional and affordable at-home beauty services in as little as one hour's notice. GLAMSQUAD revolutionizes beauty routines with hand-picked, professionally trained stylists, guaranteeing consistent, high-quality hair and makeup services designed to help women look and feel glamorous at the touch of a button.
- Hatch: Hatch is an ecommerce site that lets users customize curated wares created by a select community of artists, makers, and designers. The site invites customers into the creative process, resulting in high-quality products that are meaningful, creative, and utterly unique.
- Makers Row: Making the manufacturing process simple to understand and easy to access for everyone from first time designers to large corporations, Makers Row provides unparalleled access to industry-specific factories and suppliers across the United States.
- Niche: Niche is the leading network for social media creators. Developed by and for rising stars on channels like Vine, Instagram and Tumblr, Niche serves both as their professional toolkit, and as a comprehensive gateway for connecting with brands and marketers.
- Placemeter: Placemeter measures in real time how active any street, store, or neighborhood is in the world’s largest cities using computer vision technology and public video streams.
- Retoy: A next-generation toy company founded by inventors, game designers and obsessive collectors on a mission to help mobile game and app developers turn their virtual goods into digitally active collectibles. We're the inventors of Telepods, the multi-million-unit-selling technology behind Hasbro's Angry Birds Telepods toy line.
- Strolby: Strolby sells locally made, limited-production goods from the best small shops in the country in a single online marketplace, enabling customers to shop local from anywhere and to discover innovative, local designers and artisans.
- Venmo: Venmo is a social app to make and share payments. Connect with people, send money for free, and cash out to any bank overnight.
Since 2010, editors and digital executives from Time Inc. have scoured New York’s technology scene to discover the ten most promising startups of the past year. The selection team this year included 35 editors from across Time Inc.’s portfolio as well as digital leaders, Colin Bodell (Chief Technology Officer), Callie Schweitzer (TIME’s Director of Digital Innovation), and Senior Vice Presidents Scott Havens, Kevin Heery, and George Linardos.
Historically this list has uncovered future tech industry darlings. 2013 honorees that have experienced considerable success over the past year include: Upworthy, which consistently tops 50 million unique monthly visitors; FiftyThree, which launched a print-on-demand product with Moleskine and unveiled a highly-praised iPad stylus; and Hukkster, which recently raised a new round of funding from NPD Group.
Taking place from May 19th to 25th, Internet Week New York is expected to draw more than 45,000 people to 250 events taking place across New York City.
About Time Inc.
Time Inc. is one of the largest branded media companies in the world reaching more than 130 million consumers each month across multiple platforms. With influential brands such as TIME, PEOPLE, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, InStyle, REAL SIMPLE, Wallpaper, Travel + Leisure and Food & Wine, Time Inc. is home to celebrated events and franchises including the FORTUNE 500, TIME 100, PEOPLE's Sexiest Man Alive, SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's Sportsman of the Year, the Food & Wine Classic in Aspen and the ESSENCE Festival.
# # #For information: Patrick Kowalczyk