- For the second year in a row, Safeway is the exclusive retail partner of the Sunset International Wine Competition.
- With 2,837 entries in 2012 from across the U.S., the brand had the most successful launch of a wine competition in the U.S.
- To ensure airtight logistics, Sunset has partnered with long-time competition organizer Rebecca Murphy, who organizes the Dallas Morning News and TexSom International Wine Competition.
- Sunset is committed to gathering the best judges in the West. Honorary chairs include Sunset wine editor Sara Schneider; Joel Peterson, founder and winemaker of Ravenswood Winery, who is widely considered one of the deans of West Coast winemaking; and Master Sommelier Tim Gaiser.
- Sunset readers consume 10 million glasses of wine in an average week!
Sunset International Wine Competition
Helping the country’s most active wine drinkers discover the best wines in the world.
Introduced in 2012, the Sunset International Wine Competition is one of the leading medal competitions in the West. Medal-winners gain exposure to Sunset’s 5.3 million Western wine lovers via the print magazine monthly, over 1.3 million web visitors monthly, 30,000+ event attendees annually between Sunset Celebration Weekend and Sunset SAVOR the Central Coast, Sunset Wine Club members and hundreds of thousands of enthusiastic social media followers and fans yearly.
Almost all (96%) of Sunset subscribers are wine drinkers, and more than three out of four drink wine every week